@jasonkeath– Thank you for this! From one social media nerd to another, you had me laughing hysterically at this list and also getting super geeked out about it! 54 Warning Signs You Might Work In Social Media. Please be sure to visit Jason’s website for other fun blogs!
I added #55 and on…
You might work in social media if…
- Your parents keep up with your life through your Twitter feed.
- You are actually using Google+.
- You have sent a DM to someone sitting within 5 feet of you.
- It’s been years since someone mentioned news to you that you hadn’t heard already. – Derek Shanahan
- You verbally hashtag real world conversations.
- You are the mayor of something other than your home. – John Hondroulis
- You judge anyone with a hotmail email address as not so hip.
- You own a t-shirt or jewelry with your Twitter handle on it.
- You look down on anyone that does not own an iPhone.
- You get distracted easi… – Dave Delaney
- You look down on anyone that does not own an android.
- You secretly judge blackberry owners.
- You run into people you have not seen for years and they know everything about your life through Facebook, Twitter and your blog. – Inspired by DJ Waldow
- You secretly judge QR codes that are on subway ads or in airplane magazines. – Inspired by Scott Stratten
- You sign up to social networks before there is any discernible value, just to be an early adopter.
- You have reached the friend limit on Facebook.
- You know that there is a friend limit on Facebook.
- Your mom just tells her friends that you work “on the internet” – Inspired by David Spinks
- You checkin to a restaurant before actually speaking to anyone there.
- You not so secretly judge anyone following more people than are following them on Twitter.
- Your phone is usually face up on the bar or restaurant table when you are out.
- Your couch has Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare or Angry Bird pillows.
- Your world feels like it’s coming to an end when you get a low battery alert on your smartphone – Elysa Rice
- You take photos thinking about how they will look on Facebook.
- You read whatever news you find on Facebook and Twitter.
- You are haunted by the Tweetdeck chirping sound. – Nicole D’Alonzo
- You secretly judge magazine and TV ads that promote their social profiles poorly.
- You secretly hate friends who have more Twitter followers than you.
- You have a backup plan for when Twitter goes down.
- When you have bad customer service, your first step is to find the company’s Twitter handle.
- You complain about how bad Klout is while still signing in to check your score everyday.
- Your smartphone is your best friend.
- You hate when people use the word “viral.”
- You think of @GaryVee every time you see an orange Crush soda. (And you actually know who @GaryVee is)!
- You read Mashable more than you read the USA Today.
- You know what a bookmarklet is.
- You have Google alerts setup for your own name.
- You are working on a ‘strategy’ for people to like you. – Ryan Boyles
- You love Twitter.
- You secretly hate Twitter.
- You respect Justin Beiber for his Twitter following and recently learned he plays music too.
- You assume someone is talking about social media instead of pending nuptials when they mention the word “engagement”. – Dave Cutler
- You get bored reading news that is longer than 140 characters.
- All of the parties and events you go to are from Facebook invites.
- Spike Jones has ever made fun of you. – Inspired by Jason Falls
- No one in your family is capable of explaining to their friends what exactly it is that you do. – Mandi Laine
- Your significant other asks, “Are you still working, or just tweeting?” – Ryan Boyles
- You never ask to redeem Foursquare specials because you hate explaining them to your server.
- You think that your friends that are not on Facebook don’t have birthdays.
- Your use Pinterest to write your letter to Santa. – Inspired by Nicole D’Alonzo
- You ask your coworkers and friends for a “big favor” — to help Retweet your latest client’s Twitter campaign.
- You are fully aware that Auto DMs are what is really wrong with America.
- When you completely loose your voice, you use Twitter to ask those sitting with you to “pass the butter, please” #truestory – Lea Marino
- As much as you say you hate the term you secretly hope that someone calls you a “guru” – Simon Salt
55. You wouldn’t dream of making a purchasing decision without first asking your Facebook friends AND your Twitter followers
56. You actually get pissed when one of your friends is beating you in check-in points on Foursquare
57. You think of profile pictures in terms of how good they will look as thumbnails.
58. If www.SocialMediaExaminer.com was an magazine, you’d have clippings of it as wallpaper.
59. Most of your time at cocktail parties is spent answering questions about Facebook or showing the hostess just how to upload pictures of her grandkids.
60. You think of every business promotion in terms of a Facebook contest.
61. You care more about how your Twitter and YouTube backgrounds look than how your house is decorated.
62. You know what Facebook custom tabs are and how to make them look really really cool.
Got more??! Put them in the comments below!! Keep this “chain letter going!”